Tuesday, November 5, 2013

La Fiorita, a 'Gem' of a Brunello is on my Mind by Philip S. Kampe


At times I come out of my cave, singing.
You know what I mean--the music in your mind.
Well, I woke up this morning singing 'La Fiorita', over and over again. Somehow those words, La Fiorita, are musical to me.
I still can't get it out of my head.
La Fiorita, if you are unaware, is my favorite Brunello that was the brainchild of the legendary Roberto Cipresso, Italy's foremost winemaker.
Mr. Cipresso is a close friend of my best friend from Umbria.
As explained to me, the La Fiorita project is fairly new--1993--to be exact. The first vintage was 1000 bottles. Since Natalie Oliveros has joined the project, now, a partner with Roberto Cipresso, production and up to date facilities have helped increase the newest vintage to 25,000 bottles.
Yes, we all love Brunello--but, my love for La Fiorita is like the love I have for my wife, Maria.
It is never ending.
When I sing the words 'La Fiorita', I picture the vines smiling. The vines smile because the terroir they live in creates their personalities--their expression of how a world-class Brunello should taste.
Life as a Sangiovese grape that is destined to be put in a bottle of 'La Fiorita' must be wonderful. The end result, as achieved in the 2007 Brunello di Montalcino DOC.
The clay soil, twelve months in French oak and another twelve in Slovonian oak plus eight months in steel and another twenty-four months in the bottle create a wine that is round, juicy and well-balanced, a wine that combines red berry fruit with tobacco, leather and rosemary. Add an unusually pleasant, long finish and you have a memorable Brunello di Montalcino.
I can hear those words in my head, over and over, 'La Fiorita'.
Can you sing along with me?
My praise for the 2006 Brunello di Montalcino Reserva DOCG, a wine so well made, it feels handcrafted and so very special. Only 10,000 bottles were produced, using a similar process as the 2007,twenty-four months in oak, eight months in steel and thirty in the bottle.
Can you sing along with me? L A AA   FIORITA!!

Philip S. Kampe


5 comments:

Melanie C. said...

I am singing your song--an Expectational wine, the 2007.

Melanie C. said...

Wonderful flow of word..

Bernie G. said...

Nice article--and awesome wine.

Phil G. said...

Very witty!!

Ryan. B. said...

What a wonderful wine..

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....